Shady Yard - Knowledgebase Question

westland, Mi
Question by kellyaogden
My backyard in Michigan is very shady, mostly due to many trees, especially oak trees. I have many perrennials that grow well, but don't get many flowers, mostly day lilies. I also have lilac bushes that won't bloom, even though they get a lot of sun in the spring, because the trees don't have their leaves yet. What type of fertilizer should I use to try to get more flowers.

0

Shade can keep plants from blooming but sometimes using a bloom booster fertilizer can help. These are specially formulated and have a low nitrogen, high phosphorus content. Look for a fertilizer that has "bloom booster" on the label, and a low first number but high second number. Apply according to label directions. Good luck with your garden!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Tulips"