poor peony bloom - Knowledgebase Question

Northfield, Ve
Question by jjcla
In a well established peony bed most of the 8 varieties failed to set bud or had few flowers. Two exceptions were S Bernhardt & Cytherea. Two other beds located about 100' N & S did fine. I suspect a hard freeze during bud set was the problem, but if so, I don't understand why the other two beds (same variety festiva max.) were not affected. Any thoughts?

0

It does sound odd, doesn't it? Although the beds appear to be duplicate in every way, there are microclimates in most gardens where temperatures are slightly different; soils can drain or hold water at different rates; plants may be healthier in different beds; the list goes on and on. There's no single explanation for the flowering/lack of flowering - I think I'd chalk it up to a combination of things. Let's hope they bloom on schedule next year.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Camellia bud"