CRAB GRASS - Knowledgebase Question

edmond, Ok
Question by alongroup
I am new to Oklahoma and not familar with Bermuda grass. I understand there is a treatment for the killing of crabgrass either during the winter months or early spring. Please forward ant info available...Thanks

0

Crabgrass starts germinating when soil temperatures are 50 to 55 degrees F for ten or more days and germination can take place over a 6 week period. Pre-emergence herbicides provide excellent weed control for crabgrass but they last only about 30 days. The compound prevents the weed seed from germinating, but it will not kill the newly sprouted seedlings. Watch the weather - late April to early May is an ideal time to apply pre-emergence control. A second application might have to be made to keep your lawn a little more crabgrass free. At this point, you might want to try raking it out or hand pulling. Next spring use the pre-emergent, reapplying in 30 days. That should keep the crabgrass under control. Proper lawn maintenance practices can limit crabgrass invasions. A dense stand of turfgrass prevents the weed from germinating and establishing. Fertilize at the end of May and remember that fall fertilizing, overseeding, aeration and thatch control can also limit spring problems. Best wishes with your lawn.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"