problem w/Alocasia - Knowledgebase Question

Plantation, Fl
Question by bluejazz
Purchased it about 2 weeks ago and I keep losing a leaf every few days. They turn yellow and die. Plant is indoors near a window w/western exposure with a shade drawn, therefore very little sun. It's not as green as it was when purchased. I water it once a week. The house is air conditioned at 76/78 degrees. What am I doing wrong?

0

Yellowing leaves often indicate overly wet soils - either too frequent watering or a container that doesn't drain well. You really should not water your plant according to the calendar. Instead, water it when the top of the soil feels dry. Stick your finger down into the potting soil. If it is still moist a half inch beneath the surface you won't need to water for a few days. If it feels dry, it's time to water. Alocasia likes moderate light. Too much bright light will cause the leaves to turn pale so you might want to try moving your plant to an area that has a little less light. (The light should be bright enough to easily read a newspaper.) I hope these adjustments will help your plant recover.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"