Sunflowers - Knowledgebase Question

chula vista, Ca
Question by nstanton58
I recently purchased + planted sunflowers from Home Depot + after 1 month, they are kind of wilting. I was told to cut the flowers off the top + new ones will come in. What should I do?

0

Wilting isn't a normal thing. Sunflowers can take lots of sunshine as long as they have adequate water. Too much water can cause the leaves to wilt so make sure you allow the soil to dry out slightly between waterings. If you have the bushy type or Mexican sunflowers you can prune off the flower stems and new ones will grow; if you have the tall growing sunflowers, only one flower will develop on the stalk. When the flower is spent it will hang down and face the soil. At this point it will develop seeds. So, depending upon which type of sunflowers you are growing, you can either prune off the flowers or leave the single flower alone to develop seeds. Hope this information is helpful.

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"