Sick Bradford Pear - Knowledgebase Question

Austin, Te
Question by deborahnolen
my BP is turning as though it is fall, & now the leaves that are brown are falling. We have had lots of rain these last few days and last spring (09) it suffered from the harsh winds, then winter & now this. It did blossom properly in the spring-10. I do not know what is wrong and what to do>????

0

It could be fire blight. Symptoms of this bacterial disease: bent branch tips that resemble a shepherd's crook and brown-black, wilted or curled leaves. Affected portions of the tree look "scorched."

Weeks of rain have prompted tender new growth that's more susceptible.
Cultural and chemical treatments exist for fire blight, but chemical solutions are often not recommended for home gardeners. Tall trees are difficult to treat. The disease is unsightly but usually does not kill ornamental pears. Streptomycin sulfate, which is an antibiotic, a bordeaux mix or copper fungicide can be applied according to package directions.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Aster and Sedum"