burdocks - Knowledgebase Question

Fairfax, Ve
Question by margotorton
I have burdocks all over my place. I know that their roots grow together underground when I have tried to dig them up. I have tried RoundUp and other chemicals to get rid of them, but nothing works. I would love to know some way of ridding my gardens and my lawn from them. None of my neighbors have any!

0

Several good herbicides to kill burdock include Safer's Superfast Weed Killer, Finale, and Roundup. Superfast Weed Killer is simply a highly refined soap; it will kill only portions of the plant with which it comes in contact and will not translocate into the roots. If you use Superfast, apply it only to the pest plant because it will damage grasses and desirable plants also. Check the plant periodically in case regrowth is occurring from the roots. Finale is a synthetic herbicide derived from naturally-occurring bacterium, in a water base (no petroleum), low toxicity. Roundup is also a relatively safe herbicide, for both humans and the environment, when used as directed. Roundup will move down into root systems. After application, it does not move in the soil and it breaks down quickly. However, like Superfast, it will kill any plant it comes in contact with, including grass, trees, and shrubs. Products containing the herbicide 2,4-D can also be used to manage burdock. Spot application of these herbicides can prevent damage to desirable plants. Herbicide control of burdock is most effective on the first-year rosettes. To control mature plants, cut them down before flowers and burs are formed. This will prevent new seeds from being produced. Hope this information is helpful.

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Tulips"