My One Tomato Plant thus Far - Knowledgebase Question

Columbia, Mi
Question by tommy00363
I have been growing tomato plnts since before i can remeber around four or so. I am 57 now and this has never happened to me before or anyone else i know. My plant is a good 2 1/2 to 3 fot tall. The blossoms come out all pretty and everything, yet, the dry up falling off without a tomato forming. I have never, ever sen the like. What can I do about this dilemma?

Sincerely,

Tommy G. Lanman

0

Sometimes the blooms or blossoms on a tomato plant will dry up and fall off before producing fruit. This is known as blossom drop. It is caused by temperature, not a disease. Tomatoes plants are sensitive to heat. If the temperature is too cold or hot the blossoms can dry up and fall off. Once they have bloomed and set tomatoes, heat doesn't bother them as much. Temperatures above 85 degrees in the day, above 70 at night, or below 55 at night can cause blossom drop. The blossoms are more sensitive to heat than the fruit. Even though blossom drop is caused by high temperatures, tomatoes like heat. The hotter it is the more watering is required. For temperatures 90 and above they may need to be watered several hours every day.

To prevent in the future, choose hybrids over heirloom varieties because hybrids are bred to be hardier. If the description of the tomato states, "heat-set" or "heat tolerant" it will be resistant to the problem.

Best wishes with your tomato plants!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"