Flower Flopping - Knowledgebase Question

Knoxville, Te
Question by jason73
I have written several times about coneflowers and my ongoing war with them, well they are actually doing well accept all my flowers in this one bed have flopped over (cf, asters, even bonefire and black eye susan). Could clay soil make that happen? What should I do to prevent this in the future? T.I.A.!

0

Rapid growth can cause weak stems so staking your plants might help them remain upright. Clay soils hold lots of water and nutrients, too. It is possible that the weather was just right for rapid growth and the nutrients in the soil encouraged fast growth. This combination can cause the stems to be weak and floppy. I don't think there's much you can do about the weather but you can withhold fertilizer next year and water less frequently so your coneflowers grow more slowly. Best wishes with your plants!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"