White powder on plants - Knowledgebase Question

Cave Creek, Ar
Question by kljranch
I have noticed that on some of my plants on the stems there is a white powder and I'm wondering what it is and do I treat it? You can rub it off but doesn't seem to be affecting the plants in any way. If I need to treat it, what do I use?

0

What you describe sounds like a fungal disease called powdery mildew. To reduce additional infections, avoid overhead watering to help reduce the relative humidity. Remove and destroy all infected plant parts (leaves, etc.). Selectively prune overcrowded plant material to help increase air circulation. This helps reduce relative humidity and infection. If cultural controls fail to prevent disease buildup, or if the disease pressure is too great, an application of a fungicide may be necessary. These include: sulfur, neem oil (Rose Defense, Shield-All, Triact), triforine (Ortho Funginex), or potassium bicarbonate (Kaligreen, First Step) Chemicals are most effective when combined with cultural controls. Best wishes with your landscape!

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"