Tree leaves bitten by Japanese beetle - Knowledgebase Question

Whippany, Ne
Question by sz0001
Hi,

I have a whipping cherry and another tree. Some of their leaves are bitten by Japanese beetle to almost empty. Should I leave those leaves on the tree on cut them off?

Thanks.
Qian Zhao

0

The damaged leaves will fall off all by themselves so you don't need to cut them off. It often takes a two-pronged approach to control Japanese Beetles. You are seeing the adults which were grubs in your lawn and garden earlier this year. So, you'll want to control both the adults you're seeing now, and any grubs that may overwinter in your soil. Milky spore, Bacillus popilliae, is a disease-causing bacterium that is effective against grubs of Japanese beetles. Be sure to apply according to label directions. Carbaryl (Sevin 50WP) will control the adults but I prefer to use something a little less powerful. Try neem oil (Bonide Bon-Neem or Green Light Neem Concentrate) or cyfluthrin (Bayer Advanced Garden Power Force Multi-Insect Killer Concentrate) or permethrin (Spectracide Bug Stop Multi-Purpose Insect Control Concentrate) are labeled for use against Japanese beetles on crape myrtle and on roses. As with all pesticides, read and follow all label instructions and precautions.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"