Leaves are being burned - Knowledgebase Question

Cave Creek, Ar
Question by kljranch
I have 2 Hawaiian bird of paradises who leaves at the tips keep being burned. I cover them and protect them from the hot sun and they get water often. They don't seem to be growing very well. How can I help them from getting burnt leaves and what kind of soil do they need. They get the morning sun but not the hot afternoon sun. I live in AZ.

0

The leaf tips can be burned in the hot summer sunshine - even morning sun so shielding them from the sun is one approach. I just put up with the burned tips knowing the flowers are the best parts of the plants. The tip burn might also be from our alkaline soils. Try feeding with Miracid and mulching around the bases of the plants with some peat moss. The acids in these materials can help neutralize the soil and keep the roots happier. Happy roots equals healthy looking plants.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"