dying cedar trees - Knowledgebase Question

Marble Falls, Te
Question by kneupper
We live in far western Travis County-edge of the Hill Country. We have poor soil quality and have brought in large amounts of good soil and created a lawn with a sprinkler system. The cedars we saved(in the yard)are now declining-we've had to remove several. Why? Too much water? Is there a desease out here?

0

I think that you changed the growing environment when you brought in soil and set up a sprinkler system. If you added soil over the tops of the roots of the cedar trees it can actually suffocate them. Couple that with the amount of water you use to keep a lawn green and the trees that were getting along with natural rainfall now have moist soils to deal with. They may adjust - and they may not. Only time will tell. I hope the remaining trees adjust and begin to flourish!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Tulips"