CEDAR MULCH - Knowledgebase Question

Middletown, Ne
Question by drcfrb
I'm not sure if my first email got erased - so this may be a dupe. I took an organic vegetable gardening course at HD and the instructor adviced us not to use Cedar Mulch. Does it coat the fruit on fruit trees? Toxic in food? I cant remember why. Would you know? Thanks

0

I don't think the caution was in using cedar mulch but in using mulch of any kind next to the trunk of your fruit trees. While you can mulch beneath the canopy of the tree, don't pile the mulch up against the trunks of your trees or shrubs. The mulch can hold too much moisture against the bark and cause it to decay. As long as you keep the mulch a few inches away it is fine to use it - cedar or pine or any other organic mulch material. Hope this clarifies things for you.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"