Dead Spots - Knowledgebase Question

Magnolia, Mi
Question by pabwjb
I live in 39652 zip code and I have centipede grass in my lawn the problem is I have 3 dead spots rangeing from 4 sq ft- 12 sq ft. Just about everything else in the world will grow there(weeds) It started this just after Hurricane Katrina. Any ideas? Thanks Jim

0

The fungus (Rhizoctonia solani), commonly known as brown patch or more recently referred to as large patch, is the most troublesome lawn disease for centipede and is most prevalent on centipede which has been heavily fertilized when night temperatures are above 68 degrees and day temperatures are above 80 degrees. Dead patches of grass may start small but will grow and join together to make patches more than 3 feet. Sometimes there will be a ring of brown, dead grass surrounding a patch of green grass. To control brown patch, fertilize centipedegrass moderately in summer and if you irrigate, do it in the very late evening or very early morning so the blades can dry before nightfall. There are lawn fungicides available to control brown patch. Read the label carefully and use the rate and timing that is indicated.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"