sudden death tomatoes. - Knowledgebase Question

san diego, Ca
Question by gondolf37200
I grew tomatoes in a flower pot from seeds and they grew tall and strong.I used miracle grow mixture.Then one day the tomatoes started to wilt and thinggs got worse.water seemed to do nothing.the tomatoes died,but a few have some sings of life and I want them to recover.Plants are living things.all my tomatoes are in pots so pllease help

0

Your plants could be suffering from either early or late blight, which are caused by different fungi. Early Blight is caused by the Alternaria fungus. It overwinters on infected plant material, even seeds, so it's hard to completely remove the spore reservoir from the garden by cleaning up all the vines and fruit. Early Blight works slowly, whereas Late Blight (caused by the Phytophthora fungus) may kill plants within a week. The fungus is always growing somewhere and releasing spores into the air, which moves on wind currents. There are other disease and pest problems that may be affecting your crop, such as Verticillium wilt and Fusarium wilt. You can try using Microcop fungicide. When choosing tomato varieties, look for the words "disease-resistant" or the letters V (verticillium), F (fusarium), N (nematodes), T (tobacco mosaic), and A (alternaria). Some of the most disease-resistant varieties include Celebrity, SuperTasty, and Big Beef. Burpee's roma-type, 'Viva ItaliaHybrid', is resistant to Verticillium, Fusarium, Nematodes, and Bacterial Speck. As far as I know, there are no varieties resistant to the late blight fungus (Phytophthora).

Best wishes with your tomatoes.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"