euonymous - Knowledgebase Question

Hackettstown, Ne
Question by ourduckpond
The stems on my varigated euonymous has white scales (or spots) and are losing lower leaves. What is the problem and how do I solve it?

0

Scale is very difficult to control on euonymus, partly due to the impervious form of the scale and partly due to the densely twiggy, leafy form of the plant. Control requires diligence over time. You would need to remove the worst affected branches and/or plants, rake up all plant debris and mulch, and spray with horticultural oil during the winter (correct spray timing is very important). Start with general clean up and pruning, then spray this winter to suffocate the overwintering scales. You may want to use a systemic to further protect your euonymous. Good luck with your plants.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"