Patio Tomato - Knowledgebase Question

AUBURN, Wa
Question by whalelover22
Live in a condo so plant a patio tomato on my upper deck each year & plant in the same large pot. Started with new soil this spring, around May 1. The plant has lots of buds & flowers but no fruit so far. The branches & leaves are curling, leaf edges are becoming dry on the edges, it has full sun most of the day & is kept watered. Can I cut the branches back? What can you suggest? Thanx

0

The leaf margins can turn brown if the plant is overwatered. Generally this won't harm the plant too much - it just won't look very attractive. The shapes of tomato leaves vary depending upon variety. Some leaves are smooth and look like the leaves on potato plants and others are wrinkled and more 'tomatoey' looking. The weather can also have an affect on how leaves look. Unless the leaves are distorted, thick, or curl upward, I wouldn't be too concerned about their appearance. Unless the plants look unhealthy, get blotches, or the leaves begin to yellow, your plants are probably just fine. Be careful with watering - allow the soil to dry out slightly between waterings. As the weather warms you'll see more fruits forming. You can cut back any long and gangly branches. Best wishes with your tomatoes!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"