Blue spruce - Knowledgebase Question

AUBURN, Wa
Question by whalelover22
Please excuse any dupes, having problems. Helping son with yard work at new home. Blue Spruce, approx 35 ft, obviously no TLC. Outer 12

0

Generally when the inner foliage dies out the tree will not grow new needles in those areas so your best option is to lightly shear the outer parts of the tree. It will result in more needle development where the the branches are still supple and it may grow dense enough to hide the bare center of the tree. Pruning is best done in early spring when new growth is just appearing. You can feed the tree by broadcasting time release fertilizer for conifers (I use an 8-8-8 formulation). I think now that you've removed the ivy and given the tree a little more breathing room it will respond well to your TLC. The sap will stop flowing eventually. Pruning in the summer when the sap is flowing can result in bubbles or waterfalls of sap. It won't hurt the tree but does look messy. Try to hold off on any additional pruning until late winter or early spring. How nice that you're helping your son reclaim the landscape!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"