Cutting back Lilies - Knowledgebase Question

Knoxville, Te
Question by jason73
My Callas and Trumpet lilies bloomed and are just there, falling over onto my walkway. Will it hurt them (stunt) to cut them back to a couple inches above ground so they won't lay all over my walkway? My plan is to dig them up and transplant them this late fall season, but I want to make sure cutting them back is ok. The lilies are about 5 years old. Thanks

0

I'd stake them up rather than cut them back. If you remove the foliage the bulbs won't be able to collect and store carbohydrates and they won't bloom for you next year. Just stake them up to keep them from flopping into your walkway. The foliage and stems will die down soon. When that happens it means the bulbs are dormant and can be safely dug and transplanted.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"