peony care - Knowledgebase Question

Bend, Or
Question by gardengirlj0
I have a peony that has to be moved--suddenly it is completely surrounded by other plants and cannot even see the light of day--I know they sulk for a year or so but not sure when I can relocate it,...thanks

0

Peonies really don't like to be disturbed once they've become established, but sometimes it's necessary to dig and divide the clumps. This is usually done in the fall, after frost kills the foliage back, and the plants are going into their resting period. Digging and transplanting in July or August will probably annoy your peonies, but it shouldn't kill them. If you move it now, water it regularly to help in the transition, but expect it to look unhappy for the remainder of the growing season. Next spring it should look much healthier.

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Lilac"