Terrarium - Knowledgebase Question

Ocala, Fl
Question by swissmiss4
I have 2 5 gallon aquariums and would like to convert them to terrariums. One of them with herbs. Any instructions on which plants will go well and what layers of soil will I need?

0

You can make an indoor terrarium with an old aquarium. Drainage is important so you'll want to put a one inch layer of gravel in the bottom so excess water will have a place to collect. Then use a half inch layer of charcoal to help your terrarium smelling sweet. Once that's in place you'll need a 2-3 inch layer of moistened potting soil. You can adjust the soil level to make ridges or mounds, or just keep the soil flat. Let your creativity be your guide. When your container is prepared you can plant your plants. Some plants to consider including are Swedish Ivy, Irish moss, miniature peperomia, club moss. Just look for interesting houseplants that are not too tall. After you've planted everything, water carefully and then put the lid on the aquarium. If water runs down the sides the next day, there's too much moisture and you'll want to take the top off to dry things out. Your goal is to have some water droplets collect on the bottom of the cover and then drip down (like a rainforest). You'll get the hang of it after living with your terrarium for a few weeks. You won't need to water again for months once you get the moisture level just right. Enjoy your project.

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"