My Grass - Knowledgebase Question

Houston, Te
Question by tomtomskip
My grass has an oily like solution on it in different areas of my yard. When it dries it has a gritty feel,what is it and what can I do about it?

0

Pythium blight, also called cottony blight or grease spot, is a fungal disease of turfgrasses. All turfgrasses, warm and cool season, are susceptible to attack. The disease is most severe during hot, humid conditions and where there is limited air circulation. Poorly drained soils also favor the occurrence of the disease.

Cultural practices can go a long way toward preventing pythium blight. Good water management is very important in reducing disease potential. Remove thatch on a regular basis through frequent vertical mowing and topdressing; avoid lush growth produced by overfertilization and overwatering; improve air circulation by pruning or selectively removing trees bordering the site; and improve drainage through aeration and the use of soil amendments. Increasing the mowing height and other practices that promote root growth may lessen the damage from pythium.

Fungicides can also be effective in suppressing Pythium, but prevention is a much better and more economical turf care solution.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"