Pruning Clematis - Knowledgebase Question

Gloucester, Vi
Question by CTomFish
What time of year can I cut back Clematis and how much can I remove (25%, 50%, etc.).

0

There are both deciduous and evergreen types of clematis. Named varieties of hybrid clematis bloom in 2 different ways: some bloom on wood grown the previous year and some on wood grown in the same year. Clematis in the Jackman group of hybrids (such as jackmanii) bloom on new growth (wood grown in the same year). You'll have to watch where the blossoms occur to determine if they are on new or old wood. You can prune the Jackman clematis in spring as the buds swell, or slightly before. You can prune to within 4-6" of the base if you wish. If the clematis flowers on old wood, prune dead and broken growth in the spring. After flowering, a portion of old shoots should be cut back severely. Hope this answers your question!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"