African Violet Seeds - Knowledgebase Question

Abbotsford, BC
Question by Murray_Dyck
I am doing a project for school and am researching the propagation of African Violets. I can't come up with
anything on seeds. Where do I find this information?

0

African Violets are generally propagated from leaf or stem cuttings, but you can also start them from seed. Saintpaulia is the botanical name for African Violet. The seeds need light and heat to germinate. Sow them on the surface of moistened seed starting mix and barely press them into the mix with your hand. Cover the pots with plastic wrap to help hold in moisture and place the pots in a warm place, such as on top of the refrigerator or on greenhouse propagating mats. Germination will be erratic, but most seeds will sprout in 30-60 days when kept at 70F to 75F degrees. You can purchase seeds from Cyberseeds, PO Box 171102, San Antonio, TX 78217-1102.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"