Rabbits - Knowledgebase Question

Frankfort, Il
Question by jweglewski
This is the first year I'm having a problem with rabbits. They're eating my annuals , perennials and vegetable plants. I've use chicken wire bit its a real hassle, looks bad etc. I've tried Liquid Fence but it doesn't stop them. Any suggestions?

0

Sadly, there is not a list of rabbit-proof plants; they seem to eat just about whatever is available at my house. A fence is usually the most reliable defense -- use chicken wire, 2 feet high and buried about 6 inches deep. A pet dog or cat can be a good deterrent, too. Some gardeners report success using some of the commercially available repellent sprays applied and reapplied according to the label directions. You can also try some of the home remedies such as cayenne pepper mixed with garlic and sprayed around the lawn or blood meal or dog or cat hair sprinkled on and between the plants. You can even try to scare them by burying empty soda pop bottles with the tops poking up a few inches above the ground (they whistle in the wind). Using a combination of things and changing them often may work, but the only real guarantee is a fence.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"