Celebrity Tomatoes - Knowledgebase Question

Philadelphia, Pe
Question by onyxfoxy
I bought a Celebrity Tomato plant at Home Depot in June, it was already about 1 1/2 ft. with many flowers. It now has lots of green tomatoes. Last week there was a large one that had not started to ripen yet but was soft and rotten and this week there was another good sized rotten one. None of them have ripened. How can I stop them from rotting before they ripen? I only water when dry.

0

From your description, it sounds like blossom end rot, which appears as a dark, rotten-looking bruise on the fruit. Blossom end rot is basically an imbalance of calcium in the soil, often aggravated by varied watering schedules. Tomatoes are moisture sensitive and need a regular supply of water to thrive and produce fruit. There are several factors which can lead to blossom end rot: insufficient available calcium in the soil, rapid early season growth followed by extended dry period, excessive rain which smothers root hairs, excessive soil salts which "lock up" calcium uptake (usually caused by a fertilizer which is too high in nitrogen or is applied too often and nitrogen builds up), and, cultivating too close to the plant which kills rootlets. Keep blossom end rot at bay by providing uniform soil moisture, avoid high nitrogen fertilizers (and, follow application rates carefully no matter what you use), plant in well drained soil, and, when cultivating within 1' of the plant, do not cultivate deeper than 1". When fertilizing, look for a reliable brand, high in calcium, I hope this info helps.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Mixed Coleus"