Rooting Hydrangeas - Knowledgebase Question

Brooksville, Fl
Question by cefadkins
I just bought a beautiful blue endless summer hydrangea. I tried to root cuttings that I had taken from the plant. However my attempts were unsuccessful. After two weeks there were no roots on my hydrangeas. Could you please help me in my attempt to propagate my hydrangeas. Thank you!

0

Hydrangea can propagate by layering or taking a semi-ripe cutting in midsummer and rooting it in moistened potting soil. To layer, bend one of the stems down to the ground, nick it slightly, anchor it to the ground, and cover it with soil. New roots should develop at the injury site. It can then be cut away from the parent plant and potted up. Or, take a cutting from a shoot that developed this spring, remove the lower leaves but leave the top leaves on, dip the cut end in rooting hormone and plant it in a pot of moistened potting soil. Put in a protected place and water when the top of the soil dries out. When you're sticking the cuttings in the potting soil, make sure at least one leaf scar (node) is covered with soil. New roots will sprout from the node. Good luck with your project!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"