Fungus? - Knowledgebase Question

Cedar Park, Te
Question by latintogo
I have a small area about 18 inches square where a fungus grows. It is white, exceedingly tough - like hard rubber and grows about two inches thick and gradually becomes brown. I dig it up and discard - but it comes back. What is it?

0

It sounds like a slime mold and it is growing because of some decomposing organic matter just at, or slightly beneath the soil surface. Raking or digging it out is the best approach. I'd investigate a little further, though. Dig down into the soil to see if you can remove whatever is below the surface that's prompting the fungal growth. Replace the soil with fresh garden soil from another part of your landscape. Once the decomposing organic matter is removed and there's fresh soil in the spot, the fungus won't grow again.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"