Mushroom outbreak in new sod!!!!!!!! - Knowledgebase Question

Venice, Fl
Question by kateb50
Just ordered and installed 4 pallettes of Empire Zoysia sod from Home Depot. We love this sod. It has been in almost 3 weeks! It is gorgeous! Looks like Ireland but we now have a 100 or so mushrooms every morning popping up! We have tried to pick them w/ no results. What should we do? kate in Venice,FL

A comment from captgabie
Zoysia is considered a "summer" grass in Florida, meaning it will turn brown in the winter. Bermuda grass stays green all year.

Name: Mary Ann
Kentucky
A comment from Muddymitts
Incorrect -- Bermuda grass does not stay green all year. It goes dormant in the fall every year and is tan all winter. This year it is already dormant because of the lack of rain. I'm in Kentucky.

5

The good news is that the mushrooms are only temporary. Raking them out or mowing the lawn to remove them is a good approach. The mushrooms are growing because you're keeping the sod wet = which is something you need to do to encourage it to root. The mushrooms are growing because there's a layer of thatch (decaying organic matter) in the sod. When you begin reducing the frequency of watering the mushrooms will stop growing and eventually they will be completely gone. Nothing to be alarmed about.

Answer from terrynichols13

0

I seeded a new patch of lawn using mushroom compost, it's what they grow mushrooms in. They sell the compost after the mushrooms stop growing. The lawn came up with mushrooms. We ate what we could and gave away some. There were still thousands but they only lasted a short while. I had to rake up the dried mushrooms because they wouldn't rot.
Thumb of 2018-07-29/terrynichols13/ddbf71

Name: Anthony Mcgillvary

Answer from ajmcgillvary

-1

Mushrooms or toadstools are easily taken care of. Just buy a box of powdered dishwasher soap. Sprinkle this on the problem area and the mushrooms will disappear.

Name: Bradley Beard
Rialto,California Southwest (Zone 10a)
Just ask and I will try to answer
A comment from Mybigbro
Thank you that is good to know I hadn't heard of that before

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"