About camellias & tree - Knowledgebase Question

El Cajon, Ca
Question by kitteekrazed
Is it normal for camellias to drop some yellowed leaves weekly or am I watering too often? I live in the inland valley and they are planted on the north side of my house. I water once per week. They are 3 yrs. or more old. I also want to know if I need to wrap the trunk of a newly planted crape myrtle facing north & in full sun. If so, how far up the trunk do I wrap it? Thank you.

0

All broadleaf evergreens, including camellias, retain their leaves for 2-3 years but they will eventually be shed and replaced with healthy new leaves. It's not unusual for them to turn yellow and drop all summer long. As long as your camellia is producing healthy new growth, the shedding yellow leaves should not cause concern. Wrapping the trunk of your crape myrtle will protect it from sunscald until the bark thickens up. Wrap (or use the plastic tree guards) all the way up from the bottom to just under the first set of branches.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Geranium maderense"