Asparagus - Knowledgebase Question

Wantagh, Ne
Question by tcflan72
I live on Long Island, NY and I planted asparagus roots that I purchased at HOME DEPOT in June of 2008. In May 2010, I saw what looked like little bunches of 6-8

0

Your asparagus plants are doing just what they are supposed to be doing. The little stalks that emerged this spring could have been harvested - at least some of them. You'll want to leave a few alone to help strengthen the roots of your plants. The stalks that are not harvested will develop ferny foliage. The foliage is busy manufacturing and transporting carbohydrates back into the roots of the plants to make them stronger. The green berries indicate you have female plants which are more productive than male plants, so that's a good thing. At this point, just leave the foliage alone. It will die down this fall and provide some winter protection to the crowns of your plants as it flops over them. In the spring you can rake away the dead foliage. When new little spears develop you can harvest them for about a 3 week period. After that leave the spears that develop on the plants so they can develop ferny foliage to nourish the roots of the plants. Hope this clarifies things for you.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"