raspberry leaves curling & dying - Knowledgebase Question

Westminster, Co
Question by ajdanoland
My raspberry leaves are curling & dying. They turn dark in color. I've already lost one plant and it looks like a second one is halfway dead. I thought maybe it was scorch, so I decreased water, but no effect. Blackberries nearby are not affected.

0

I suspect your raspberry plants are diseased. The most common fungal diseases include anthracnose, cane blight, spur blight, and botrytis fruit rot commonly called gray mold. These diseases can cause defoliation, wilting of lateral shoots, death of fruiting canes, and a reduction in winter hardiness. Other diseases such as phytophthora root rot, powdery mildew, rust fungi, fireblight, leaf spot, and verticillium wilt can also infect raspberry stands, but are not usually considered as important or life threatening. The severity of each disease fluctuates yearly, depending on annual weather conditions and cultural practices.

To protect your raspberries from most diseases you can apply lime/sulfur or a copper based fungicide, but once the disease is apparent, it's usually too late to save them. I'd dig out the affected plant or at least prune it all the way down to ground level. Next spring start your spray program to help protect your plants. You'll find a guide to timing the sprays on the fungicide container.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Camellia bud"