Lilly's - Knowledgebase Question

Los Gatos, Ca
Question by pambrandhors
I have lilly's planted in the ground and in pots. I am digging up all my bulbs this year to relocate to a new location. When is the best time to dig up the lilly's? What should I do with them afer they are dug up?

0

As with all bulbs, the foliage of your lily spends time manufacturing and transporting energy back to the bulb for next year's growth and flowering. You don't want to cut off the foilage but you do want to wait until the foliage dies down on its own and the bulb goes into dormancy before digging and replanting. In your gardening region this may not be until December. Once the foliage dies down on its own you can dig the bulbs and store them in a cool, dark location until replanting. Or you can plant them immediately and they will simply sit and wait in the ground until they have rested. Either way, they will sprout in the spring, grow and flower - right on time. Good luck with the move.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"