taking an orchid outdoors - Knowledgebase Question

bronx, Ne
Question by sshipp3571
have an orchid for more than 3 years; it's yet to flower. would moving it outdoors this summer help. if so what should I be mindful of

0

If your orchid is not blooming, the growing conditions are not quite right. Instead of taking it outdoors, try changing its growing environment indoors. There are many, many kinds of orchids, each with different requirements, but here are some general care tips for orchids: They like daytime temperatures of about 70F degrees in the summer, 60F in the winter, and a drop of ten degrees at night. Cool nights are important. Give them bright light, 10-15 hours each day. Keep the potting medium moist, but reduce the frequency of watering during the winter months. Mist the leaves occasionally. Keep them out of drafts and shade them from direct sunshine.

Some orchids will rebloom on the same stem so I would leave the stem alone. If it does not flower again, the stem will die and you can then cut it off. A new flowering stem will emerge when your orchid is ready to flower again. Orchids bloom best when they are rootbound so don't be in a hurry to repot it.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Camellia bud"