bad soil - Knowledgebase Question

philadelphia, Pe
Question by chevyamir
I have a rectangle patch of dirt in my back yard which is mostly surrounded by cement yard. I want to turn the dirt area into a little garden bu the dirt looks so bad that I can not see anything pretty growing there. I have only seen weeds grow there. What should I do?

0

Start by amending the soil with compost or other organic matter. It will help loosen the soil and add nutrients and anything you plant should thrive. I spread 4-5 inches of compost over the top and dig it in to a depth of 8-10 inches. When the soil is completely mixed and leveled, plant your seeds or transplants. To help suppress weeds, slow water evaporation and moderate soil temperatures, spread 2-3 inches of compost over the bare soil between the plants. At the end of the gardening season you can dig the mulch into the soil and add a fresh layer. Repeat this procees on an annual basis and you'll end up with rich garden loam, and a fantastic garden!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"