Rabbits are wreaking havoc - Knowledgebase Question

St Anthony, Mi
Question by dana_erickso5
Rabbits are eating seemingly everything in my planting beds - hostas, roses, green beans, even barberry bushes. I've tried spraying the plants with a product called Liquid Fence. So far it hasn't helped at all. The morning after I've sprayed, the plants have been eaten again. Anything else I can try? I'd consider poison but I know other animals would be affected. Please help if you can. Thank you.

0

Sadly, there is not a list of rabbit-proof plants; they seem to eat just about whatever is available at my house. A fence is usually the most reliable defense -- use chicken wire, 2 feet high and buried about 6 inches deep. A pet dog or cat can be a good deterrent, too. Some gardeners report success using some of the commercially available repellent sprays applied and reapplied according to the label directions. You can also try some of the home remedies such as cayenne pepper mixed with garlic and sprayed around the lawn or blood meal or dog or cat hair sprinkled on and between the plants. You can even try to scare them by burying empty soda pop bottles with the tops poking up a few inches above the ground (they whistle in the wind). Using a combination of things and changing them often may work, but the only real guarantee is a fence.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"