Peace Lilly - Knowledgebase Question

Fort Worth, Te
Question by carolyn_robe
Why doesn't my peace lilly not flower anymore? I've had it for 3 years, and it only flowered one year. It sits in front of my fire place and receives indirect light. Help!

0

Since your plant used to bloom frequently, then stopped, it sounds as if the soil may have lost its fertility. Replanting in fresh soil is a good idea. Other requirements are bright to medium light, keep soil moderately moist, moderate to average humidity, normal room temps. Use a fertilizer higher in phosphorous (the middle number) to promote bloom. I'm not aware that letting the plant dry out to the point of limpness is useful. That would stress the plant further. Here's some info on fertilizer: The numbers on a fertilizer bag refer to the percentage of N (nitrogen), P (phosphorous), and K (potassium) in the bag. There are different formulations for different purposes. In general terms, nitrogen produces lush green growth, phosphorous helps strengthen stems and produce flowers, and potassium keeps the root system healthy. If you're applying fertilizer to flowering plants, you're not as interested in the plant developing leaves as you are in it flowers, you'd use a formulation lower in nitrogen and higher in phosphorous, such as Miracle-Gro. Good luck with your plant!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Dahlia & Water Hyacinth"