White Moldy Spots on Plants? - Knowledgebase Question

Pleasantville, Ne
Question by sokker
I bought perennials w/ white flowers last year at HD. The patch of ground previously had green mold on top the soil + lots of rocks, hardly any sun hits it. I had rocks removed, turned soil over & added peat to improve. The plants appeared healthy at first but as they've gotten bigger they have white moldy spots on leaves with burnt looking edges. What's wrong and what can I do to fix?

0

You didn't identify the plant so I don't know if it is suitable for a shady spot or if it needs sunshine (check the plant label). If it is a sun lover and is not getting enough sun it can develop a fungal disease called powdery mildew. To reduce additional infections, avoid overhead watering to help reduce the relative humidity. Remove and destroy all infected plant parts (leaves, etc.). Selectively prune overcrowded plant material to help increase air circulation. This helps reduce relative humidity and infection. If cultural controls fail to prevent disease buildup, or if the disease pressure is too great, an application of a fungicide may be necessary. These include: sulfur, neem oil (Rose Defense, Shield-All, Triact), triforine (Ortho Funginex), or potassium bicarbonate (Kaligreen, First Step) Chemicals are most effective when combined with cultural controls. Good luck with your plant.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"