Deck refinishing - Knowledgebase Question

Greenfield, Mi
Question by sheryl_a_ste
Our cedar balconies and deck haven't been sealed for over 5 years and are peeling and railing has rotted. What are the steps to seal or stain it - what type of seal or stain is best to use so I don't have to redo it again for awhile...thanks.

0

You'll want to remove as much of the peeling sealer off the deck. There are cleaners you can use either with a scrub brush or with a power washer. If there are still some raised remnant of old sealer left on the deck after power washing or hand scrubbing, sand them down to make them smooth. The deck needs to thoroughly dry before applying the new sealer. There are many brands available. I use Behr but Thompson's Water Seal is also a good product. Best wishes with your project!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"