Cottonwood Tree Replanting - Knowledgebase Question

Camp Verde, Ar
Question by raftermhorse
I have some limbs that I trimmed off of one of our cottonwood trees and I put them in water to try to grow additional trees. They are growing great roots and have some new bloom starting. At what point do you know that it's time to plant in the ground or in starting pots? They are about 4-5 ft. limbs in length.

0

Each of your cutting will need to have a healthy mass of roots attached before it can be transplanted. When it does you can transplant it into a container with potting soil. Keep the potting soil wet to help duplicate the conditions it was growing in before. As the weeks go by, allow the soil to become less and less soggy. This gradual change from pure water to soggy soil to slightly damp soil over a period of 2-3 weeks will allow the roots to adjust without dying off due to lack of moisture. In about a month after transplanting you can keep the soil damp but not soggy wet and the cottonwood saplings should have enough moisture to promote healthy growth. Good luck with your cottonwoods.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"