how do I prune this - Knowledgebase Question

Hernando, Mi
Question by designer55
I was at my H.depot and saw a tree/shrub which had been pruned to a single center trunk. I was going to buy it theb saw the plant itself and thought I would try it my self. So how do I prune it to look like a tree. It is a green euryops

0

It's fairly easy to turn a shrub into a lollipop looking specimen. You simply prune off all the lower branches and leave a topknot of growth. It's best to start with a small plant so you can rub out the sprouts and they appear along the main stem. If you have an older plant and you remove the branches, you'll end up with scars and bumps along the main trunk. So, find a small plant and carefully remove two thirds of the lower growth, leaving the top one third alone. As new buds begin to swell along the trunk, rub them out with your thumb. As the plant matures the bark on the trunk will become thick and no new sprouts will appear. As the shrub grows taller you can remove some of the lowest branches. It's a fun project but it is time consuming so be patient!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"