Dogwood Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Kansas City, Mi
Question by patken
I have purchased a few dogwood trees and have trouble with them. The last one I bought had a powdery substance on the leaves when I bought it. I died. A couple of others developed this after I bought them. What is it and what do I do to prevent it? Pat

0

Sounds like the fungal disease Powdery Mildew. Powdery mildew fungi spread quickest when the humidity is high and temperatures are between 50F and 90F. To discourage the disease, plant on sites with good air drainage, give the plants plenty of space, water during the morning only, and allow the soil to dry out between waterings. For heavy infestations of powdery mildew, sulfur or copper sprays can be applied weekly, starting in June in your area. These include: sulfur, neem oil (Rose Defense, Shield-All, Triact), triforine (Ortho Funginex), or potassium bicarbonate (Kaligreen, First Step) Chemicals are most effective when combined with cultural controls. Best wishes with your dogwoods!

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Lilac"