Rudbeckia Fulgida Goldstrum Blk Eye Susans - Knowledgebase Question

Staten Island, Ne
Question by mlyledavis
I bought 2 in 9

0

Rudbeckia likes the heat and sunshine, but too much of a good thing, coupled with transplant shock can cause your new plants to wilt if they are not protected. Start by working some compost into the soil so it is loose and drains well. I simply spread 3-4 inches of compost over the planting area and work it into the top 8-10 inches of soil. That's where most of the roots of your rudbeckia will be concentrated. Level the soil and then dig the planting holes. Make them the same size as the nursery pots so your new plants will be at the same soil level as they were growing in the pots. Rudbeckia needs at least 6 hours of sunshine in order to grow and flower well. After planting, water them in well and then erect a temporary sunscreen to protect them from hot afternood sun for the first week or 10 days after planting. This protection will lower the stress factor of being transplanted and having to deal with hot summer sunshine. Once the plants are established you can remove the sunscreen. Best wishes with your new plants.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"