Fig tree winter protection, pruning and feeding - Knowledgebase Question

Staten Island, Ne
Question by mlyledavis
I have a 1 year old fig tree shoot from a friend. Her 3 fig trees are hugh and have not been protected in the winter for 10 years. Mine was not protected last winter and is also doing great this year (have 2 dozen fruits and new branches). Do I have a very tolerant variety or must I protect it in the winter?
When/how to fertilize? How best to prune?

0

I'd sure like to know the variety you are growing! It must be extremely hardy and/or it is planted in a protected place. Either way, if it survived the winter without protection and it came from a parent tree that is also hardy, I don't think you have to take any particular special measure to protect it next winter. You can feed your fig tree once each year in the spring. Use a general purpose garden fertilizer, broadcast it under the canopy of the tree, scratch it into the soil and then water it in well. You can prune back any overly long branches and you can completely remove any branches that are misplaced. Best wishes with your tree!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"