Rose Trees-weak small branches - Knowledgebase Question

CdC, Ca
Question by liseleiser
This home had over 300 rose plants when we purchased it! I have broughtit down to about half that now due to the high maintenance, whew! I notice the rose trees (not bushes) sometimes have thin short, unable to hold the weight of a rose flower, branches. I believe I am pruning them correctly.(?)..other than that I don't know why...any suggestions?

0

Spindly growth can indicate rapid growth, either weather related or from over fertilizing, or lack of sufficient sunshine. Roses do take lots of care and regularly trimming off weak looking stems is part of the maintenance. When stems are produced, watch to make sure they are thick and rigid. If a puny stem begins to develop a flower bud, cut the stem off before the flower has a chance to grow. This will redirect the energy into a larger stems and new flower buds will form. If all the stems look weak and spindly you may need to prune them back severely, removing anything that is smaller than the thickness of a pencil. In time you should be able to get your rose bush to grow strong, healthy stems.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Mixed Coleus"