Pittosporum tenuifolium 'Major' - Knowledgebase Question

McKinleyville, CA
Question by abquilts
Hi! I really thought I was through with the questions. However, I bought this bush, soon to be 10 feet tall. It's very beautiful and it will hide,(in time) my 'unfortunate' neighbors.

My question: what kind of root system does it have. I am planning on putting it right outside my kitchen, dining room. Do I need to be concerned about the distance it should be planted from the house. If it needs more root growth space, can I put it in tub? Why don't I think of these questions before I buy!!!!!

As always, thanks for your help.

alix

0

Your new Pittosporum tenuifolium 'Major' will reach 10' tall and 10' wide so you'll need to give it ample space in which to grow. In general, the roots of shrubs are found directly under the shrub, extending out as far as the tips of the branches. Sometimes they extend a little further out. With a shrub with the potential to reach 10' wide, expect the roots to be that far out, too, so you'll want to keep it at least 10' away from your home and foundation. If you don't have that much room you can plan on pruning it on an annual basis to keep it slightly smaller. I think you can keep it about 6 feet tall and wide without compromising its health. You could grow it in a container and it will stay a bit smaller but it won't live as long as if you planted it in the ground. Hope this answers all your questions.

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"