How to fix bark loss on a Dogwood tree - Knowledgebase Question

Export, Pe
Question by reiderjennif
Hello,
I have a pink flowering dogwood tree(cornus florida Rosea) that some of the bark was scraped off. Its a new tree, planted for about 6 weeks. The bark loss is about 1/3 of the circumference of the tree in one spot. How can I best protect the tree to enable its survival? I have read about using a tree paint or possibly grafting, but the tree is probably too small to find a good branch.

0

A healthy tree will seal the wound and eventually callous over the damage. If you use wound dressing or tree paint you'll be interfering with the process so I don't recommend their use. If you're concerned about damaging the tree again, or if you're concerned about insect or disease problems you can place a tree guard or other temporary barrier around that portion of the trunk. Tree guards are perforated plastic strips that are rolled around the trunk of a tree to protect it from sunscald. Placing one around the trunk of your tree will help protect the wound until it has a chance to heal itself. Holes allow for good air circulation which will also help the damaged part heal. Best wishes with your dogwood.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"