Hydrangeas - Knowledgebase Question

downers grove, Il
Question by kag0405
I bought hydrangeas from Home Depot & they were blue. Once I've planted them in the ground, they are now white/yellowish. After reading the info on the colors, I'm still not clear what I should do.

Please help!! Thanks, Kathy

0

Flower color has as much to due with plant genetics as it does with soil pH and the growing environment. If the flowers remain green, they are not maturing fully. This can be due to weather or growing conditions. As long as your hydrangea looks otherwise healthy, there's not much you need to do this year. If you want blue flowers, treat the soil with 2 Tablespoons of aluminum sulphate per plant, making 4-6 applications at 2 week intervals, starting in the early spring before the plants begin to develop flower buds. (Sulfur will acidify the soil. The desired pH range would be between 5.5 and 6.0 for blue flowers.) Hope this clarifies things for you.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"