Browning of lawn - Knowledgebase Question

Montclair, Ne
Question by artjtom
A few weeks ago I layed down some Scott's fertilizer with weed killer.. I used a spreader. I had bought a big bag and this was the second layer after a few weeks passed. The lawn has subsequently (died? or it became brownish where I put the fertilizer.....?? What did I do wrong and how can I rectify this condition..? What can I expect of the lawn becoming in appearance in the future days?

0

It sounds like an overdose of weed and feed. From what you're telling us, you applied the weed and feed, waited a few weeks and applied it again. That's twice as much as your lawn needed. The result is the excess fertilizer has burned the lawn. Normally you'd apply only once every 3 months (check the label for timing of applications). The fertilizer can eventually be leached by watering heavily and repeatedly. There's not much else you can do. Time will eventually solve the problem. When using a drop spreader, it is better to measure the amount of fertilizer you need to use for the square footage you have to cover, then set the spreader on a very light application, and then go over the area repeatedly at the light rate until the fertilizer is used up. Be sure to follow the label instructions as to how much to use in total, because it is better to use the right amount or if anything, underfertilize than to overfertilize. Also change your walking pattern (eg up and down and then back and forth and then diagonally both ways) as you go to avoid accidentally leaving any lines or skipping places. By using a low rate and spreading in different patterns you will not overdose any particular area and you will still use the recommended amount of fertilizer. It takes a little bit longer, but it makes it nearly impossible to overdose any spots.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"